You Me At Six - Buzznet Interview
Acoustic tv performance + Interview
Matt and Max: talk ‘Cavalier Youth’ and more w/ Robert Herrera
Max and Matt - Talk Disney Characters, Cavalier Youth and America w/ CayemInterviews
EntertainmentDailyNews: Max and Josh Interview
- Topman Generation: What can fans expect from your new album, Cavalier Youth?
- Max: It’s definitely the most we’ve progressed musically while still maintaining our You Me At Six sound. It may sound arrogant to say, but I think it is definitely the best we’ve sounded as a band.
- Josh: That’s not arrogant. You didn’t say “We’re the best f****** band in the world, deal with it”. Very nicely put.
- Topman Generation: You mentioned the Arctic Monkeys, what do you think of their new album, AM?
- Max: (instantly) Unbelievable Jeff. I pre-ordered it. I heard it about two months ago and I got the vinyl on Friday and literally the whole entire album is the best thing released in the UK in the last 10 years.
- Josh: Until our album comes out in January….(smiles)
- TopMan Generation: Did you notice it was a lot easier to pull girls once you were in the band?
- Josh: (Laughs) Ermmm, it probably would be if we really wanted it to be, but most of us have had girlfriends for the whole time being in the band.
- Max: I’m not one for charming, I’m one for just being myself, and if they like that, they like that, and if they don’t…pffft.
- Josh: I actually rejected a girl trying it the other night at a bar. She asked if I was in the band and I said "no, I just look like him". As soon as I said that she lost interest. And I was like that’s exactly why I don’t want to put up with chicks like you…
- Max: You’ve just got to not mention it really, I mean if people like you for who you are that’s cool.
Josh and Max - Live W/ Zane Lowe on Radio 1
guys I’m gonna upload their interview, if you wanna listen to it, just bare with me :)
- AP: You recorded the whole new album in the States?
- Josh: Yeah, we recorded the new record with Neal Avron who has done Fall Out Boy, Linkin Park, Say Anything and a bunch of really cool bands. We met him when we were on the Spring Fever Tour with All Time Low and Pierce The Veil. We met a bunch of different producers, but with him, there was something different. We could all really feel comfortable in his presence–playing the songs [and] talking about them–then we decided to basically make a record with him. We did drums at one studio, and then recorded the rest at his house. It was cool–it was a really good experience.
- AP: Stylistically, how do the new songs compare to what you have released in the past?
- Josh: I think we’ve definitely mixed it up. I think what’s interesting about this record in comparison to the others, is it feels more cohesive, like an overall body of work. With the last record, we’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that we produced potential fans or new listeners based on the fact that we had songs like "No One Does It Better” and “Crash,” which are slow love songs. On that very same record, we have our friends in hardcore and heavier bands like Oli Sykes [from Bring Me The Horizon] and Winston [McCall] of Parkway Drive coming in and doing what they do with their bands on our sound. I think that’s because on our last record we were just trying to figure out exactly what kind of band we wanted to be. I think what was good about that is that it allowed us to be in this position where we can go down and rework it, whether it be straight-up rock or a bit more aggressive and harder or songs like "Reckless" and "Jaws On The Floor," which are a bit more of pop-rock sort of thing. If someone was a fan of You Me At Six before then this is definitely for you, and a lot of people will see that, and if not, then I feel like new people coming to the party could also really get attached to it because we’ve tried a lot of different things.
- I’m sure, as with any record that anybody puts out, it will hopefully finalize an opinion, and they’ll either love it or hate it, but that’s kind of the deal with music. The people who are a fan of your band, they’ll either be really into it or not the fuck at all, but at least you know where you stand.
- AP: Have you played any of these new songs live or will you be playing any of them live on your fall tour with Cute Is What We Aim For, Conditions, Tonight Alive and Dinosaur Pile Up?
- Josh: Yeah, we’ll definitely be playing new songs. If the song we just did the video for, does become the single, then we’ll absolutely be playing that. I’m sure it will have been out by then, and hopefully for a nice amount of time, [so] people can learn the song and warm up to it.
- http: //www.altpress.com/features/entry/we_learned_a_lot_about_ourselves_in_the_studio_with_you_me_at_six